Volunteering Victoria has submitted its 2018-19 State Budget Submission to the Victorian Government.
While there are many challenges for the volunteering sector, there are also many opportunities for the Victorian Government could further support the thousands of individuals and organisations that make up the sector.
A key priority we are communicating is to encourage government to invest in the existing place-based infrastructure which supports volunteering. Volunteer Support Organisations are a vital part of the ecosystems that facilitate volunteering locally, connecting volunteers to organisations, providing passionate and professional support to regional networks all while being under-resourced and facing financial uncertainty.
We also advocate for:
- Intercultural engagement and connected communities through multicultural and refugee volunteering
- Supporting people with disabilities through the volunteering experience and enhancing the disability workforce (through the transition to the National Disability Insurance Scheme)
- Maximising the potential for the breadth of services delivered through local government volunteering programs
- Supporting communities transitioning through economic change (particularly in regional Victoria)
- Thought leadership and research into the contribution and impact of informal volunteering
- Activating and benefiting the Victorian Public Service through employee volunteering programs.
You can read the full budget submission here (PDF 2MB).