Volunteering Victoria acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the Land , and we pay our respect to them, their culture and their Elders past and present . Victoria’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is rich and diverse and to strengthen our relationship and respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people we developed this page to support the engagement and updates of activities within Aboriginal communities. Volunteering Victoria hope this makes a small contribution towards the prosperity and vibrancy of Aboriginal people within this State.
To respond to the needs of Indigenous volunteers, Volunteering Victoria has collected information about volunteering opportunities and resources within the Aboriginal communities.
Research suggests that members of the multicultural communities have lower rates of volunteering than other segments of the community. But we know this is not the true picture of volunteering in these communities, which are often highly engaged and supportive communities. Volunteering Victoria sees volunteering as ‘active citizenship’ and believes that increasing volunteering by members of the Aboriginal community can facilitate social inclusion, and also enhance service delivery to this community
To support, promote and ensure volunteering in Victoria’s Aboriginal Communities, Volunteering Victoria will:
- Work with both the volunteering and the Aboriginal community to increase the level of volunteering across the broader community
- Promote engagement
- Share cultural understandings of what it means to volunteer
- Work with our members and peak bodies who represent the variety of Aboriginal communities to develop programs, policy and support to enable cross cultural volunteering.
- Share learnings and best practice of volunteering in Aboriginal communities to broader volunteering communities
- Work with volunteer-involving-organisations to develop capacity and capability to create opportunity for Aboriginal volunteers, including how to manage and develop their talents