Volunteering to help in an emergency can be a rewarding and enriching experience.
Register now to offer your help when it is needed most.
Through HelpOUT, everyday Victorians can register their interest in helping communities impacted by an emergency. HelpOUT then matches people with rewarding volunteering opportunities that support identified community needs by partnering with the organisations working on the ground in affected communities.
People who want to volunteer can:
- Easily register their interest and availability online or over the phone
- Specify their preferred availability and the skills they can offer
- Be contacted by Volunteering Victoria’s HelpOUT team and offered suitable volunteering opportunities as they become available
Eligible organisations involved in emergency management can:
- Register as a HelpOUT client organisation
- Receive tailored information and support to help prepare for emergency volunteering
- Submit requests for volunteers to assist with specific tasks before, during or after an emergency
For more information, read the Frequently Asked Questions or call us on (03) 8327 8560.
Expanded pilot areas
HelpOUT has been successfully piloted in the G21 region and has been funded to expand the pilot to Eastern Metro and Hume regions. This means HelpOUT will now cover the following local government areas:
- Borough of Queenscliffe
- City of Greater Geelong
- Colac Otway Shire
- Golden Plains Shire
- Surf Coast Shire
- City of Boroondara
- City of Manningham
- City of Monash
- City of Whitehorse
- City of Knox
- City of Maroondah
- Shire of Yarra Ranges
- City of Moira
- City of Greater Shepparton
- Shire of Strathbogie
- Shire of Mitchell
- Shire of Mansfield
- Rural City of Benalla
- Shire of Murrindindi
- Shire of Indigo
- Rural City of Wangaratta
- City of Wodonga
- Shire of Towong
- Alpine Shire
- Falls Creek Alpine Resort
- Lake Mountain Alpine Resort
- Mount Buller Alpine Resort
- Mount Hotham Alpine Resort
- Mount Stirling Alpine Resort
HelpOUT is an adaptation of Volunteering Queensland’s world-class Emergency Volunteering Community Response to Extreme Weather (EV CREW) service. EV CREW’s success has been proven in Queensland through many major floods and cyclones since 2008. It now also operates in Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory.
Volunteering Victoria is delivering HelpOUT in partnership with Volunteering Queensland and Volunteering Geelong. HelpOUT was developed in response to the Victorian Emergency Management Reform White Paper, which identified shortcomings in the management of spontaneous volunteers and serious implications for disaster readiness and recovery in Victoria.
Volunteering Victoria also acknowledges the support of the Commonwealth and Victorian Governments through the National Disaster Resilience Grants Scheme.